Archive: 15th Annual NVJFF
15th Annual Northern Virginia Jewish Film Festival
March 19-29, 2015
The 15th annual Northern Virginia Jewish Film Festival, presented by the Jewish Community Center of Northern Virginia (the J), presented 15 feature films over 11 days with the theme Je suis tout le monde
| Yo soy todo el mundo
| Ani Kulam
| I am everyone. Countries represented included Argentina, France, Germany, Israel, United Kingdom, United States, Uruguay, and Venezuela. The festival presented 20 screenings at Angelika Film Center & Café at Mosaic in Fairfax, plus previews at the J, Beth El Hebrew Congregation, Congregation Adat Reyim and Congregation Beth Emeth, for a total of 24 festival screenings. The festival also featured a live storytelling event by SpeakeasyDC.
- 24 Days (24 Jours: La Verite sur l’affaire Ilan Halimi) |Directed by Alexandre Arcady | France | 2014 | 108 minutes | French with subtitles | Drama. Program: Rabbi Adam J. Raskin, the spiritual leader of Congregation Har Shalom.
- Above and Beyond | Produced by Nancy Spielberg | Directed by Roberta Grossman | Written by Sophie Sartain | USA | 2014 | 86 minutes | Hebrew with subtitles | Documentary. Program: Bruce Lichtman, retired U.S. Air Force Lieutenant Colonel, son of Gideon, a volunteer pilot for Israel.
- Apples from the Desert (Tapuchim min Hamidbar) | Directed by Arik Lubetzky & Matti Harari | Israel | 2014 | 96 minutes | Hebrew with subtitles | Drama
- Arlo & Julie | Written & Directed by Steve Mims | USA | 2014 | 76 minutes | Romantic Comedy
- Beneath the Helmet: From High School to the Home Front | Directed by Wayne Kopping | Israel | 2014 | 90 minutes | English & Hebrew with subtitles | Documentary. Program: Facilitated by Dana Kalishov, JCCNV Community Shlicha. Panelists include: Yogev Moyal (officer from the elite Maglan Unit), hosted by the Friends of the Israel Defense Forces (FIDF), Noa Meir, Director of the Israel Action Center (Jewish Community Relations Council/JCRC) and Yakir Daniel, Jewish Agency Israel Fellow, GMU Hillel. Additional support from Project Welcome Home, a JCCNV initiative.
- Disobedience: The Sousa Mendes Story (Desobeir) | Directed by Joel Santoni | France | 2012 | 104 minutes | French with subtitles | Drama
- God’s Slave (Esclavo de Dios) | Directed by Joel Novoa | Uruguay, Argentina & Venezuela | 2013 | 90 minutes | Spanish with subtitles | Drama/Thriller. Program: Mr. Mario F. del Carril, former press counselor for the Argentine Embassy, and Mr. Roberto Mosse, retiree of the World Bank Group.
- The Green Prince | Directed by Nadav Schirman | Germany, Israel & United Kingdom | 2014 | 101 minutes | English & Hebrew | Documentary
- Kidon | Directed by Emmanuel Naccache | France & Israel | 2014 | 89 minutes | Hebrew & French with subtitles | Comedy
- Life as a Rumor (HaChayim KeShmua) | Directed by Adi Arbel & Moish Goldberg | Israel | 2013 | 123 minutes | English & Hebrew with subtitles | Documentary, Autobiography
- Magic Men (Haben Shel Elohim) | Directed by Erez Tadmor & Guy Nattiv | Israel | 2014 | 100 minutes | Hebrew with subtitles | Feature
- The Outrageous Sophie Tucker | Directed by William Gazecki | USA | 2014 | 96 minutes | Documentary
- The Prince of Egypt | Directed by Brenda Chapman, Steve Hickner & Simon Wells | USA | 1998 | 98 minutes | Animated Musical
- Touchdown Israel — Tackle Football in the Holyland | Directed by Paul Hirschberger | USA | 2014 | 81 minutes | Documentary, Program: local sports commentator David Elfin.
- Zaytoun | Directed by Eran Riklis | Israel & United Kingdom | 2013 | 110 minutes | Arabic, English, Hebrew with subtitles | Drama
- Plus the short film Hannah Cohen’s Holy Communion | USA | 2013| 13 minutes
Plus Live Storytelling Event with SpeakeasyDC. Marx Brothers to Coen Brothers: True stories inspired by Jewish films