Everyone wants their simcha (celebration) to be a day to remember! However, to make a memorable b'nai mitzvah or wedding happen, there are many details that go into planning, which can sometimes be overwhelming and costly. Luckily, we are here to help with most of the things on your planning checklist:
- Guest List: Your guest list will largely determine the size of the venue you need, so preparing a list of guests is a good first place to start.
- Venue: Things to consider include the budget, total number of guests expected, where your guests are coming from, and whether you have certain dietary requirements (e.g. if kosher food is needed).
- Entertainment: A DJ or a band will give guests a chance to dance and celebrate the occasion. Novelty ideas, such as a photo booths, are also fun, especially at bnai mitzvahs!
- Seating: When making your seating arrangements, try your best to keep your guests happy. Although music should never be offensively loud, it will be loudest closer to the dance floor. Therefore, older adults/non-dancers appreciate being sat further away from the dance floor.
- Theme: Many simchas are planned around a theme or colors. Decorations make the setting more festive and there are plenty of ideas to choose from. Florists and designers will have books filled with ideas based on other b'nai mitzvah themes and/or wedding colors for you to look at and brainstorm.
- Food: In addition to a proper cocktail hour, lunch or dinner, consider something fun like a chocolate fountain, cupcakes, and/or an ice cream sundae buffet!
- Cake: Of course, you cannot forget the cake. There are many cake designs and ideas that could be a hit (as well as delicious). Think about tying your theme/colors into the cake design.
- Favors: Favors are a nice way for those who attended remember the special occasion, and can range from simple candles and chocolate, to t-shirts, frames, and other fun themed-items.
Did you know that you could get some GREAT ideas for the items above all in one place? The 2015 NoVa Simcha Expo (A "Party Planning" Experience) is this Sunday, March 22nd, from noon – 4pm at the JCC of Northern Virginia (8900 Little River Turnpike Fairfax)
If you are planning a birthday, baby naming's, bris, sweet sixteen, bar/bat mitzvah, anniversary, or any other kind of celebration...plan to attend this one-stop shopping expo! There will be music....dancing...tastings... AND giveaways (hotel stays, dinner, etc.) and more!