The Early Childhood Learning Center (ECLC) promotes developmental growth through creative interaction between children and teachers within a warm, caring environment that’s based on Jewish values.
The ECLC is an early childhood education center located in Alexandria, VA at the Beth El Center. Sometimes referred to by our families as a pre-kindergarten, pre k, toddler school, junior kindergarten or kindergarten prep school, essentially we are a private preschool and child care center that offers both full day preschool programs and all day child care. We promote developmental growth through creative interaction between children and teachers within a warm, caring environment that’s based on Jewish values. Highlights include:
• Licensed preschool
• Licensed childcare from 16 months to 4 years old
• Licensed camp program
The ECLC strives to help each child grow as an individual. We emphasize the development of self-confidence and a positive self-image. Our activities provide experiences to foster social skills and emotional maturity and to strengthen cognitive and physical growth. Play is a child’s work. Play provides the opportunity for children to explore their world, find out how to get along with others, strengthen their muscles, try new activities, build self-confidence and enhance self-esteem. Play is how the young child develops the necessary skills and social competencies that will be needed as he/she grows and matures.
Our teaching philosophy follows a Reggio Emilia inspired philosophy that is based on the following ideas:
• Children have a say over the direction of their learning
• Children are able to learn through experiences of touching, moving, listening, seeing and hearing
• Children have a relationship with other children and material items to explore
• Children have endless ways and opportunities to express themselves
• Our philosophy involves an emergent curriculum that builds on the interests of the children. Topics of study are chosen through discussion/observations of children, community or family events, interests of the children, and teacher-directed provocations. The curriculum provides hands-on learning experiences, areas for children to experiment with the natural world, and real-life problem-solving with opportunities for creative thinking.
The ECLC participates in the JCCA Sheva Early Learning Framework. This framework is a basis for the continued education of the children in the ECLC. It builds upon the foundations already in place through the Reggio Emilia inspired philosophy. Core principles include:
• The value of children as constructivist learners including the concept of kavod (respect) for each child’s ability to think for himself/herself
• Early childhood directors as visionaries — our professional staff has the chochma (wisdom) to make sound decisions for their population
• The importance of early childhood educators as professionals — through learning communities and attending conferences and workshops, our educators develop ahavat limud (a love of learning) for themselves and their students
• A focus on families as engaged partners — opportunities are provided throughout the year to build kehillah (community) between our families and staff
• The concept of the environment as inspiration for inquiry — spaces are intentionally designed to encourage curiosity, intellectual engagement, and creativity
• Emphasis on the Jewish value of sh’mirat ha’guf (taking care of our bodies) through nutrition and exercise
• Further learning about Israel to educate our students and their families about the story of the Jewish people
For children 16-23 months
This program is full-time only
24 months-5 years old
Part-time: 9am-1pm, Monday-Friday
Full-time: 7:30-6pm, Monday-Friday
Extended Day options available with Part-time enrollment
Families opting for membership rates need to maintain a current membership to the JCCNV or to Beth El Hebrew Congregation. Families may opt for non-member rates as well.
The ECLC is a year-round school and runs on a 10 or 12 month tuition schedule. Priority Registration for the 2017-2018 school year began December 19, 2016 and registration will open to the public on February 1, 2017. The first day of the 2017-2018 school year is August 28, 2017. Admissions are on a first-come, first-served basis. Click here to download our 2017-2018 Registration Packet which includes policies, hours and pricing information.
For more information about the current 2016-2017 school year, please contact [email protected], JCCNV-Beth El Early Childhood Learning Center, 3830 Seminary Rd, Alexandria, VA 22304, 703.537.3084
Fairfax: Infant-5 yrs
Infant Toddler, Preschool, Enrichment
Alexandria: 16 months-4 yrs
Infant Toddler, Preschool, Enrichment
Before- & After-School Care (BASE), Enrichment, Camp
Children-Adult Dance Classes