Northern Virginia j.talks
- Rebecca Ann Alexander: Not Fade Away: A Memoir of Senses Lost and Found. The inspiring memoir of a young woman who is slowly losing her sight and hearing yet continues to live each day with grace and purpose.
- The J is a host site for Fall for the Book. Ronna Wineberg - On Bittersweet Place.
- Naomi Schaefer Riley - Got Religion?: How Churches, Mosques, and Synagogues Can Bring Young People Back. In partnership with NOVA Tribe and jnet.
Northern Virginia Jewish Book Festival
- Book Festival Kick-Off and Shabbat Expression, featuring David Ebenbach, The Artist's Torah.
- Opening Night with Slash Coleman, author of The Bohemian Love Diaries.
- Character Breakfast, Happy Birthday Sammy Spider with illustrator Katherine Janus Kahn. Co-sponsored by Gesher Jewish Day School.
- T.K. Thorne, author of Last Chance for Justice: How Relentless Investigators Uncovered New Evidence Convicting the Birmingham Church Bombers.
- Israel Night with David Harris-Gershon, author of What Do You Buy the Children of the Terrorist Who Tried to Kill Your Wife?
- Marion Grodin, author of Standing Up: A Memoir of a Funny (Not Always) Life.
- Adult Services Event with Ann Kirschner, author of Lady at the O.K. Corral: The True Story of Josephine Marcus Earp.
- Share-A-Shabbat: Meet Gobey, the Health Nut!
- Martin Fletcher, author of Jacob's Oath.
- Soldiers, Spies and Secrets with Ilan Benjamin, author of Masa: Stories of a Lone Soldier; film screening of Betrayed; and a play reading of The Law of Return by the American Ensemble Theater.
- Local author event at One More Page Books. Hosted by Alan Orloff.
- Closing Night and Book Lovers/Book Club Night with Lihi Lapid, author of Woman of Valor.
- Special Book Event: Scott Reich, author of The Power of Citizenship: Why John F. Kennedy Matters to a New Generation.
- In Conversation with Stephen Tobolowsky, The Dangerous Animals Club. Co-sponsored by Michelle Stravitz and Ilana Gammerman.
- Character Breakfast with The Cat in the Hat & Friends. Welcome to the Wacky World of Dr. Seuss! Co-sponsored by Gesher Jewish Day School.
- 2 O'clock Tea Talk: In Conversation with Francesca Segal, The Innocents. Co-sponsored by The Northern Virginia Regional Programs and Women’s Philanthropy of The Jewish Federation of Greater Washington
- Sports Talk and Tailgate Night Featuring Steve Buckhantz, Philip Hochberg and Andy Pollin; moderated by Danny Rubin.
- Book Club & Book Lovers’ Night Featuring Alicia Oltuski, Precious Objects: A Story of Diamonds, Family, and a Way of Life.
- Brown Bag Author Talk with Larry Tye, Superman: The High Flying History of America’s Most Enduring Hero.
- Spies, Mystery & Real Life Intrigue with authors Dan Raviv and Joseph Gelman; moderated by Arielle Farber Poleg, JCRC Director of Israel & International Affairs. Co-sponsored by Jane & Scott Brown, Judy & Eugene Greenberg, and in partnership with the Jewish Community Relations Council.
- Share a Shabbat: The Schmutzy Family with Madelyn Rosenberg.
- A Literary Taste with Local Authors. Authors included: Bruce Ashkenas, John Baer, Rachel Blumenthal, Patricia A. Britz, Dr. Barbara Joyce Frank, Bob Gillette, Stephen Kaminski, Alan Orloff, Norton Paley, Eric Rozenman, Elice Stern, and Jessica Tischler.
- What’s Love Got to Do with It? Evening chat with Paula Szuchman & Jennifer Anderson, Spousonomics. Sponsored by Michelle and Steven Stravitz.
- Character Breakfast with the Berenstain Bears! Co-sponsored by Laura and Michael Williams, Allyson and Marc Jacob, Nogah and Rob Helfant and Gesher Jewish Day School.
- Annual Afternoon Tea: In Conversation with Karen Bergreen, Following Polly. Moderated by Wendi Kaufman. Co-sponsored by The Northern Virginia Regional Programs and Women’s Philanthropy of The Jewish Federation of Greater Washington and Kathleen McSweeney and Michael Rafky.
- Israel Night: Evening Exchange with the Experts. Panel discussion with Dan Byman, A High Price: The Triumphs and Failures of Israeli Counterterrorism and Jennifer Griffin and Greg Myre, This Burning Land: Lessons Learned from the Front Lines of the Transformed Israeli-Palestinian Conflict. Moderated by Arielle Farber Poleg, JCRC/Director of Israel and International Affairs. Co-sponsored by Laurie and David Albert and The Jewish Community Relations Council (JCRC) of Greater Washington. Event chairs: Ilana and Gary Gamerman.
- Afternoon Lunch & Talk With Stephen Fried. Stephen Fried takes us on a historical culinary journey in his newest book Appetite for America; Fred Harvey and the Business of Civilizing the Wild West – One Meal at a Time.
- Book Club and Book Lovers’ Night with Sonia Taitz, In the King’s Arms. Co-sponsored by Judy and Eugene Greenberg.
The 2011 Festival was sponsored by the JCC of Northern Virginia in partnership with The Jewish Federation of Greater Washington and the Jewish Book Council.