JCCNV Jewish Book Festival Archive
- In Conversation with Stephen Tobolowsky, Author of The Dangerous Animals Club. Co-sponsored by Michelle Stravitz and Ilana Gammerman.
- Character Breakfast with The Cat in the Hat & Friends. Welcome to the Wacky World of Dr. Seuss! Co-sponsored by Gesher Jewish Day School.
- 2 O'clock Tea Talk: In Conversation with Francesca Segal Author of The Innocents. Co-sponsored by The Northern Virginia Regional Programs and Women’s Philanthropy of The Jewish Federation of Greater Washington
- Sports Talk and Tailgate Night Featuring Steve Buckhantz, Philip Hochberg and Andy Pollin; moderated by Danny Rubin.Want to talk ball? Kick back with a cold one and listen as our panel of sports experts takes the pulse of the Greater Washington pro and college sports scene. Don’t forget to bring your questions!
- Book Club & Book Lovers’ Night Featuring Alicia Oltuski, Author of Precious Objects: A Story of Diamonds, Family, and a Way of Life.
- Brown Bag Author Talk with Larry Tye, Author of Superman: The High Flying History of America’s Most Enduring Hero.
- Spies, Mystery & Real Life Intrigue with authors Dan Raviv and Joseph Gelman; moderated by: Arielle Farber Poleg, JCRC Director of Israel & International Affairs. Co-sponsored by Jane & Scott Brown, Judy & Eugene Greenberg, and in partnership with the Jewish Community Relations Council.
- Share a Shabbat: The Schmutzy Family with Madelyn Rosenberg. A morning to share Shabbat with someone you love--laugh, sing, and read along with author Madelyn Rosenberg, as we get to know and love the Schmutzy family.
- A Literary Taste with Local Authors. Local published writers were on hand to discuss, sign, and sell their books. From novels to nonfiction and mysteries to children’s books, there’s sure to be something to whet your appetite! Authors included: Bruce Ashkenas, John Baer, Rachel Blumenthal, Patricia A. Britz, Dr. Barbara Joyce Frank, Bob Gillette, Stephen Kaminski, Alan Orloff, Norton Paley, Eric Rozenman, Elice Stern, and Jessica Tischler.
- What’s Love Got to Do with It? Evening chat with Paula Szuchman & Jennifer Anderson, authors of Spousonomics. Sponsored by Michelle and Steven Stravitz.
- Character Breakfast with the Berenstain Bears! Co-sponsored by Laura and Michael Williams, Allyson and Marc Jacob, Nogah and Rob Helfant and Gesher Jewish Day School.
- Annual Afternoon Tea: In Conversation with Karen Bergreen, author of Following Polly. Moderated by Wendi Kaufman, fictional writer and frequent contributor to The New Yorker and Washingtonian magazines and The Washington Post. Co-sponsored by The Northern Virginia Regional Programs and Women’s Philanthropy of The Jewish Federation of Greater Washington and Kathleen McSweeney and Michael Rafky.
- Israel Night: Evening Exchange with the Experts. Panel discussion with Dan Byman, author of A High Price: The Triumphs and Failures of Israeli Counterterrorism and Jennifer Griffin and Greg Myre, co-authors of This Burning Land: Lessons Learned from the Front Lines of the Transformed Israeli-Palestinian Conflict. Moderated by Arielle Farber Poleg, JCRC/Director of Israel and International Affairs. Co-sponsored by Laurie and David Albert and The Jewish Community Relations Council (JCRC) of Greater Washington. Event chairs: Ilana and Gary Gamerman.
- Afternoon Lunch & Talk With Stephen Fried. Author Stephen Fried takes us on a historical culinary journey in his newest book Appetite for America; Fred Harvey and the Business of Civilizing the Wild West – One Meal at a Time.
- Book Club and Book Lovers’ Night with Sonia Taitz, author of In the King’s Arms. Co-sponsored by Judy and Eugene Greenberg.
The 2011 Festival was sponsored by the JCC of Northern Virginia in partnership with The Jewish Federation of Greater Washington and the Jewish Book Council.
For information about the next annual JCCNV Jewish Book Festival, to be held in November 2012, please contact Laurie Albert, JCCNV Community Engagement Director at LaurieA@jccnv.org or call 703.537.3064.