You have the day off from work and the children are off from school. What are some fun ways to spend a day of family togetherness, in keeping with a day that celebrates life, volunteerism, and freedom?
Martin Luther King (MLK) Day is a federal holiday that commemorates the achievements of an influential American civil rights leader. It is seen as a day to promote equal rights for all Americans, regardless of their background. It is also a cold, wintry day that could be spent watching cartoons and the news on TV. Why do that when we have activities for all ages and stages here at the J, including:
- Ivivva Athletica Trunk Show, 9:30am–1pm: Inspired by active girls. Made by Lululemon athletic wear — made to move. Ivivva Vienna will host an exclusive trunk show just for us!
- Electra Entertainment Booth, 9:30am–1pm: Event specialists — defining entertainment. Stop by to chat with the DJs and make your next event unforgettable! And, guess what—the awesome DJs will be the same ones that will be at our Winter Bash, the hottest dance event ever at the J, on January 24!
- Camp Kick-off, 10am–noon: Want to learn more about camps at the J and register at a discounted rate? Today is the day camp registration opens! Register that day and the $50 registration fee will be waived!
- Give Together: A Family Volunteer Day, 10:30am–3:30pm: Families join together throughout the county — and here at the J — for a number of meaningful community service projects. You must register in advance. For more information: http://volunteerfairfax.org/individuals/give-together.php.
- Torah Comedy! 10:30am and noon: Some rap music, some comical accents, and some imaginative reworking of well-known biblical stories. Tickets: $10 adults | $6 students | ages 3–5 free. Free admission to any child registering for 2015 summer camp on this morning!
- Adult Monthly Discussion Group Our World Today and in the Future Topic: Post Summer Fallout and Summary of the Protective Edge Operation in the Gaza Strip, 12:15pm–2pm: Speaker: Dana Kalishov, Community Shlicha. Bring your meatless lunch. Coffee and tea provided. $3/ Free for members
- Family Ice Skating at Fairfax Ice Arena, Pickett Road, 2pm: Wind down the day outside the J — on the ice rink! Group tickets rate: $6.25 (for groups of 7 and larger;) RSVP required for discount. Complete program registration form and return to the front desk.
Click here to download the flier.
As you can see, there is something for everyone! We are excited for this fun-filled day, and we hope to see you there!