When you envision a pool, does children playing or families having fun come to mind? Swimming at the J is that, and so much more. In fact, swimming is an excellent form of physical fitness and a great complement to an existing exercise routine. These are five reasons why:
1. It is good for your body: Swimming provides unparalleled cardiovascular conditioning, and is good for your heart. It builds long, lean muscles that complement the shorter denser muscles that develop from weight training. It helps boost metabolism to keep calories burning longer. Lastly, and important for many of us, people who consistently swim strenuously enough to elevate their heart rate do burn calories and lose weight.
2. It gives your body a break: Swimming gives your body a break from higher-impact activities like basketball, running, and weightlifting. Also, after running, cycling, or weights, an easy swim helps flush out toxins preventing muscle tightness and soreness the following day. In addition, by creating a balanced workout routine, athletes avoid injury by allowing their body time to heal.
3. It strengthens your core: Swimming develops core body strength because it utilizes all the body's muscles simultaneously. Although 70 percent of a swimmer's effort comes from the upper body, kickboard and fin workouts can provide an excellent leg workout.
4. It increases your endurance: Those who swim regularly are able to swim longer than they can what they could sustain doing other activities. With the right technique, a swimmer will be able to train for longer periods of time than if he/she were running and, as a result, more calories are burned.
5. It offers social benefits: Swimming can be social. Fitness classes in the pool and team programs offer peer motivation and swim classes for children and adults can provide you with a chance to interact with others, while bettering your technique and increasing performance results.
Whatever your reason, swimming at the J should be part of your fitness routine. The JCCNV Aquatics Center features a six-lane indoor 25-meter swimming pool with a graduated depth from 3.5’ to 8’. Programs include adult swimming, adapted swimming, instruction for children and adults, water aerobics and Aqua Zumba, and more. Learn more here.