The Jewish Community Center of Northern Virginia (JCCNV) is a nonprofit, social service organization dedicated to offering quality programs, activities and services that emphasize Jewish culture, identity and values to people of all ages and backgrounds. Conveniently located in the heart of Fairfax County, the JCCNV is a warm and welcoming place where the community can experience year-round educational, recreational and cultural programming. It is also a place where the Northern Virginia community gathers to celebrate and learn about Judaism’s rich cultural heritage. A growing organization, the J will operate with an $8 million budget in FY15. The JCCNV is an equal employment opportunity agency.
The JCCNV is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants to and employees of the JCCNV are protected under Federal law from discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age and genetics.
JOB CLASSIFICATION: Full-Time Professional
SUPERVISED BY : School-Age Services and Day Camps Director
JOB SUMMARY: Oversee, plan, develop and recruit for the J’s Before and After School Enrichment program (BASE), summer specialty camps (Shavuon) and Camp Achva. Develop staff and parent committees. Oversee department budget and assist with fundraising through programs and grants. Assist with agency-wide events as needed.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Hiring and supervising BASE staff members. Providing support and guidance relating to licensing, staff supervision, and the day-to-day operations of the afternoon BASE program.
• Assisting in the program planning and operations of J Camps, specifically focusing in the planning, organizing and implementation of Shavuon.
• Develop and implement after-school BASE program, Shavuon and other year-round programs pertaining to school-age children and families.
• Conduct program evaluations annually via surveys or by other means.
• Conduct yearly review and updates to BASE Staff Handbook and BASE Parent Handbook, in collaboration with the School-Age Services and Day Camps Team.
• Responsible for creation and oversight of daily staffing and schedules for after-noon BASE staff.
• Work with School-Age Services and Day Camps Administrator and Billing and Accounts Manager to create and maintain accurate daily attendance lists and communicate billing and financial needs as it pertains to the BASE program.
• Contract and orchestrate vendors and staff to run afternoon Enrichment Classes and Music Lessons, in addition to promoting the JCCNV j.dance and Aquatics departments’ program offerings.
• Responsible for building and executing all rosters and schedules for BASE Enrichment Classes
• Work with School-Age Services and Day Camps Director to develop long-range plans for BASE, Shavuon, and Camp Achva.
• Meet with School-Age Services and Day Camps Director on a weekly basis for formal supervision, and as needed
• Hire, train, and supervise part-time staff.
• Follow personnel policies of the JCCNV as described in the Employee Handbook
• Develop a BASE committee to discuss long-term goals and work plans to enhance the program and build parent partners.
• Oversee program budget by:
o Reviewing monthly statements vs projected and actual budget numbers with School-Age Services and Day Camps Director
o Working closely with the Director and School-Age Services and Day Camps Administrator to stay up-to-date with program statistics by keeping track of program expenditures and participants.
o Assist in looking for financial development opportunities associated with children’s programming.
Marketing and Recruitment:
• Work with Marketing Director to develop brochures, online marketing tools and to discuss creative ways to market the BASE program.
• Recruit participants and volunteers for programs.
• Consistently update and contribute to the BASE webpage and Facebook page.
• Compose BASE and camp information for Centertainment, efinnestri and other marketing materials.
The ideal candidate will:
o Have had 5+ years’ experience working with children in a comparable capacity
o Have had 3-5+ years’ experience supervising staff
o Possess strong customer service and supervisory skills
o Hold a Bachelor’s Degree
o Have a valid Driver’s License
o Successfully pass a background check with fingerprinting
o Knowledge of Jewish community a plus
Please send cover letter and resume to Rich.Dinetz@jccnv.org.
Our Before- and After-School Enrichment (BASE) program is expanding by hiring new staff. Our mission is to ensure an interactive, fun, beneficial, and positive environment where every child can grow and develop in a safe, structured, and friendly atmosphere.
The position open at the J are available to anyone regardless of their religious affiliations!
If you are 16 or older and interested in joining our team, contact Rich.Dinetz@jccnv.org or 703.537.3091 for more details.
Our Before- and After-School Enrichment (BASE) program is looking to hire a shuttle bus driver for our afternoon program. Our program’s mission is to ensure an interactive, fun, and positive environment where every child can grow and develop in a safe, structured, and friendly atmosphere. If you are 21 years or older and interested in joining our team, contact Rich.Dinetz@jccnv.org or 703.537.3091.
The Unit Leader will be responsible for the direct support and supervision of the general counselors in their Unit. They provide support in all facets of the camp experience to the staff, so that the counselors can perform their jobs at the highest possible level. They are available to the staff members, campers and parents as a resource for all aspects of camp.
- Be a Role Model for both staff and campers of how to represent Camp Achva and the JCC in a positive manner
- Uphold and support the mission and vision of Camp Achva and the JCC
- Follow and enforce all of Camp Achva and the JCC’s policies
- Accept all other responsibilities as necessary
- Attend Pre-Camp planning meetings with the Leadership Team
- Assist the Planning/organization/implementation of Field Trips, Special Events and other Camp Achva functions
- Assist in planning and participate in Staff Trainings
- Plan contingency plans for field trips and outdoor activities that may be cancelled due to weather
- Engage and actively supervise all staff members in your unit
- Evaluate the staff members in your unit informally throughout the year and two times formally during the summer (Mid-Summer and End of Summer)
- Set weekly meetings/check-ins with staff members in your unit
- Report any on-going staffing concerns to the Associate Director
- Record Daily Attendance and deliver to the Administrator, School Age Services and Day Camps
- Ensure prompt arrival and dismissal of camp groups from/to activities
- Ensure counselors are engaged and actively supervising the campers
- Report any ongoing camper behavioral issues to the Associate Director
- Collect Daily Report Forms from all groups in your unit
- Attend daily meetings with the Associate Director
- Record and Communicate any significant events of the day to the Associate Director
Please send cover letter and resume to Rich.Dinetz@jccnv.org.
Need a summer job?!
J Camps at the Jewish Community Center of Northern Virginia is looking for dynamic, fun and motivated counselors to join our team this summer! Camp runs from July 3-August 18. Applicants should be able to work all 7 weeks (plus orientation), however all applications are welcome.
Staff must be willing to:
Applicants should complete applications and questions should be sent to Rich Dinetz, School-Age Services and Day Camps Director at Rich.Dinetz@jccnv.org.
Join the dedicated team at the Jewish Community Center of Northern Virginia Early Childhood Learning Center! The ECLC is inspired by the Reggio Emilia philosophy and our staff co-teaches in a professional, collaborative, Jewish environment.
We are seeking a dynamic full time teacher to join our educational team for our year-round, full-day preschool for infants through Pre-K. Full-time teaching positions begin as soon as possible.
•CDA, AA or BA in Early Childhood Education or child related field
•Experience working in a childcare setting
•Excellent organizational and teamwork skills
•Proficient written and verbal communication skills
•Experience or knowledge of emergent curriculum, project approach, and/or the Reggio Emilia inspired philosophy
•Medical and Dental insurance
•Life and Disability insurance
•403B Retirement Plan options
•JCCNV family membership: fitness center, pool, classes, etc.
•Ongoing Professional Development opportunities
Applicants do not need to be of the Jewish faith but must be open to learning how to incorporate Jewish culture and values in the classroom.
Please send a cover letter, resume and three references to Amit.Hickman@jccnv.org.
Qualified applicants will be contacted for interviews.
Do you know anyone who is looking for a flexible full or part time position? If so, the JCCNV’s Early Childhood Learning Center is seeking dynamic long term, short term, and/or day of substitute teachers to join our educational team for our year-round, full-day early childhood center for infants through Pre-K.
Create your availability based on your own schedule and join the dedicated team at the Jewish Community Center of Northern Virginia Early Childhood Learning Center. The ECLC is inspired by the Reggio Emilia philosophy and our staff co-teaches in a professional, collaborative, Jewish environment.
Substitute teachers will be asked what their availability is in advance. Position may include part time, long term, seasonal, or short term subbing if available and depending on the substitute teacher's availability.
Looking for experienced professionals with experience or knowledge of emergent curriculum, project approach, and/or Reggio Emilia inspired philosophy.
All applicants must have experience working with young children, be organized, have excellent writing skills and a good understanding of digital and media languages. Applicants do not need to be of the Jewish faith but must be open to learning.
**Must have experience working with young children in an early childhood setting**
Please send resume and three references in response to this ad to Ashley.Hoy@JCCNV.org . Qualified applicants will be contacted for interviews.
The Jewish Community Center of Northern Virginia (Fairfax) is currently seeking instructors for all styles of dance. Dance Instructors are responsible for planning class content and curriculum and choreographing pieces for the end-of-program performances. Classes are offered in Ballet, Jazz, Hip Hop, Modern, and Tap. The J is a member of the National Dance Education Organization and the Virginia Dance Coalition.
Ideal candidates will be professional, energetic, and have experience teaching children ages 5-15. Bachelor’s degree preferred. This is a part-time position. Salary is dependent on experience.
To apply, please send your resume along with 2 professional references, indicate the type(s) of dance in which you specialize or are able to teach, your experience and training in dance, and your availability to Barri DeFrancisci, j.dance Director, at Barri.DeFrancisci@jccnv.org. No phone calls please.
The J is currently looking for a fun, energetic, fitness dance instructor with the ability and certification to also instruct Aqua Zumba® and Zumba® Gold classes. Current CPR/AED is required. If you are interested, please email your resume and to Rebecca.Friedlander@jccnv.org.
USA Swimming Head Coach needed for competitive swim team, Monday - Thursday after school/10 hours a week.
ASCA level 2 and Current USA Swimming Coaching Certifications (CPR, FA, Safety Training for Swim Coaches), Minimum 2 years coaching experience with developmental age group swimming. Compensation -very competitive with others PVS teams. To apply, please email resume to Teo.Albu@jccnv.org.
We are looking for an enthusiastic coach for a pre-swim team/ swim school level instruction ages 5-12 in Fairfax, VA; Monday-Friday after school/5 hours a week/ September-May and Sundays year around. There is potential for more hours.
Requirements minimum 1 year experience with developmental age group swimming preferred. Up to $40 per practice depending upon experience. To apply, please email resume to Teo.Albu@jccnv.org.
The Special Needs Department is excited to offer internships and practicums to qualified college students!
The Jewish Community Center of Northern Virginia (the J) is looking for part-time staff to shadow children with special needs in our before- and after-school programs. Daily activities in this inclusive program range from board games, playground, art projects, homework assistance, etc. Being a shadow includes aiding a child with a special need in staying on task, redirecting when needed and helping him/her to have a positive experience as they interact with peers and engage in activities. These children have autism, Asperger’s syndrome, ADD/ADHD or other related disorders. Hours can vary but are typically Monday through Friday between 7:30am–9am and/or 3:15pm–6pm, depending on what days/times the child is registered for.
Experience working with children with special needs is highly preferred. Please send your resume to Jessica at Jessica.Tischler@jccnv.org